Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Maybe I'll try blogging again.

I'll probably fail again.

Oh well, here's another random post:

My friend is going to the Philippines with the Peace Corps and she dedicated her blog to me! I'm so proud of her and am glowing with happiness after reading her inaugural post. Obviously that's what got me to writing right now.

Life update: Now that I'm six weeks away from getting my degree, I don't think I want to do interior design. At least not yet. I've heard from multiple, varied sources (so I've resigned myself into believing its true) that the only time you can get hired in this field is at the end of the summer because of the "construction break." Basically, the idea of flying home and rushing into a job which may or may not allow me to pay rent and eat in the city I want to live in appeals to me not a lot. Despite my better reasoning I'm now considering moving home for a bit. Supporting reasons follow.

Part of the reason I want to move home is to reconnect with my roots; familial and regional. If I move straight to the city I know I'll end up exploring on weekends/trying to create a social life for myself and visits home would be sporadic. I'd probably feel guilty about their sporadic nature. Also, I really, really want to visit the Phillipines if I can (plus I'll have friends in Hong Kong and Bangalore...), and going broke to make it in San Fran is definitely at odds with going to Asia. I'm confident I could get my old job at the winery back and if I'm living at home I would serve both the desire to save money and catch up with good ol' Cali-forn-i-a.

The more I think about it the more I can think of reasons to hang out in Santa Rosa. If nothing else, I can remind myself that it's a sleepy place and I should live in the city. That is a totally legitimate reason as far as I'm concerned. And even if it comes to that I'm sure I could make myself busy enough to temper my own insanity at least until the holidays are over. As roommates go, my parents are pretty clean, so that shouldn't be a problem...

As for getting a job in January: I'd do anything. I'll cross that golden-gate bridge when I'm actually getting ready to head south on 101 with my stuff in the trunk. If I need to work three jobs, seven days a week, well then, I can say I worked my ass off for a goal. That always feels good at some point. Or at least I can tell my kids about it.

At home I might WOOF (work on organic farms), visit a lot of family, work at the winery, take cooking classes, cook/bake (Thanksgiving/Christmas woot), visit a lot of family, garden, help out with my parents various interior design projects, work on my portfolio, possibly rekindle some friendships, visit a lot of family, drink local beers, get a bike, knit, chill with my dogs... Wait why hasn't this been the plan from the beginning again?

The extended forecast requires updating as well. I mentioned to my sister my foggy notion of going to law school in a decade or so and she had some ideas for me. She's been living in Prague about as long as I've been living in Montreal and she told me that I could study commonwealth law for two years there (or anywhere commonwealth law is taught) and then do a one-year master's program in the states to make me eligible for the bar. I'd save money on tuition (and living expenses probably) and get an awesome international experience in the same amount of time. Best of all, I wouldn't need a university-issued degree to embark on that journey. Woot! Not going to university may work out for me after all.

And now maybe I should do some homework. Funny how "homework" and "housework" are similar words. I often distract myself with the latter when I ought to be doing the former... I should really just get married and be a house-husband.

No comments: